Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smog with edelbrock intake (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: smog with edelbrock intake
bigstangs
¯
Member # 7920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstangs  Ford pictures for bigstangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i just went to try and smog my 95gt and they said it would not pass cause i dont have a carb sticker for my edelbrock rpm 2 intake i called edelbrock and they said i dont need one but the smog place says i do anyone have this problem and what do i have to do
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A CARB NUMBER FOR IT TO BE LEGAL PERIOD
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dunno if itl work but cant u jus give them the carb numbers to a smog legal version? like the old ecam trick

[ August 12, 2010, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: gercolla1 ]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Print out the instructions from edelbrocks website, it mentions that since it is a stock replacement part it is 50 state legal, i always bring the carb #'s and instructions in a binder for all my parts and keep that in my car in case i get pulled over...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 on blinds post i went through the same deal if the smog place gives you a hassle get an email or something from edelbrock stating that its a factory replacement. i have the performer 5.0 and there is no carb number.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
bigstangs
¯
Member # 7920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstangs  Ford pictures for bigstangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have all my carb stickers but they said i dont have one for the intake so they canrt smog it so i look it up on edelbrock said its does not say nothing about being stock replacement
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
contact edelbrock through phone or email they can send you info

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigstangs:
i have all my carb stickers but they said i dont have one for the intake so they canrt smog it so i look it up on edelbrock said its does not say nothing about being stock replacement [/QUO
you are going to need the eo number to get smog with that intake on call elderbrock an ask them for it

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
obviously we need the eo numbers for smog inspection, but do we physically need the sticker for each component. Do elderbrock have stickers or just there word?

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
obviously we need the eo numbers for smog inspection, but do we physically need the sticker for each component. Do elderbrock have stickers or just there word?

the stickers have the eo numbers on them or you going to need the paperwork from elderbrock with eo number on it
bigstangs
¯
Member # 7920

Does anyone have the eo number never seen one before on the edelbrock rpm 2
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

i copied this directly from the paperwork that comes WITH the rpm 2 manifold

"Emissions Systems: This manifold is intended as a direct replacement for the factory intake manifold. All emissions related factory
components are to be retained and functional. The manifold is, therefore, legal for street use in all 50 states, and no C.A.R.B. E.O. number
is required. Check local laws for requirements."

so no, there is no e.o. number you can spend hours and hours scouring the internet and never find an e.o. # try me. and if the smog techs are still being dicks about it get these papers that came with the manifold or if you got it used get paperwork directly from edelbrock. trust me i went through this 3 months ago and it worked.

[ August 13, 2010, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: ajs91CHPcoupe ]

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bigstangs:
Does anyone have the eo number never seen one before on the edelbrock rpm 2

You don't need a CARB sticker but you will need the E.O number. YOu can get it off of this web page.. print it out and take it in.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

If they still give you a hard time then take it to another shop

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
Originally posted by ajs91CHPcoupe:
i copied this directly from the paperwork that comes WITH the rpm 2 manifold

"Emissions Systems: This manifold is intended as a direct replacement for the factory intake manifold. All emissions related factory
components are to be retained and functional. The manifold is, therefore, legal for street use in all 50 states, and no C.A.R.B. E.O. number
is required. Check local laws for requirements."

so no, there is no e.o. number you can spend hours and hours scouring the internet and never find an e.o. # try me. and if the smog techs are still being dicks about it get these papers that came with the manifold or if you got it used get paperwork directly from edelbrock. trust me i went through this 3 months ago and it worked.

STILL NEED THE EO NUMBER THERE NOW WAY AROUND THAT AN SAYING A SMOG TECH BEING A DICK IS TOTAL WRONG WE JUST DON'T WANT TO PAY HUGE FINES FOR DUMB FUCKS NOT AHVING THERE PAPER WORK IN ORDER
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

ONCE AGAIN NO E.O. # FOR THAT MANIFOLD BECAUSE IT DOESNT NEED ONE.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

bigstangs
¯
Member # 7920

So what's it the eo number I can't find it
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

it doesnt exist youll never find it. these companies spend thousands of dollars to get e.o. through the state so its to their benefit to make these parts hookup like stock components. its status is factory replacement they never applied for an e.o. number.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, I called the CARB help desk number listed on the CARB website to get a definitive answer on this. Here's what I found out.

1. The girl who answered the phone(sounds like an 18 year old cutie on the phone) doesn't know anything about cars. When I asked my question, you would have thought I asked her to explain Einstein's theory of relativity. She was very helpful though.

2. There is no CARB EO number for the Edelbrock RPM 2 manifold

3. It does not need a CARB EO number because it is considered a factory replacement manifold. The girl verified this with her supervisor and called me back to let me know.

4. Bring in the Edelbrock paperwork to the smog shop or have them call the CARB helpdesk for clarification if they refuse to smog the car.

[ August 13, 2010, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

thank you wilit

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ajs91CHPcoupe:
thank you wilit

[patriot]

Sad thing is, there's a lot of smog urban legends floating out there because the laws are just so damn confusing. It took the girl at CARB 2.5 hours to call me back, so I assume, even they didn't know and had to look it up.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
bigstangs
¯
Member # 7920

still have no luck edelbrock. even gave me a paper to take to the smog place. but they say i need an e.o number guess i have to find a stock intake. so i can smog my car
wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wht2000gt  Ford pictures for wht2000gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it to a different smog shop. Or did you try that already?
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To reiterate what others have said... FACTORY REPLACEMENT PARTS DO NOT NEED AN E.O. # If that wasn't the case, your non factory spark plugs would be illegal, your cap and rotor would be illegal, your aftermarket radiator cap would be illegal.

I've smogged with my Edelbrock manifold for 20+ years as a stock replacement part. I bring in the Edelbrock paperwork because most smog techs have no idea about specifics of the law (case in point, this thread). Print this pdf and take it with you also.

www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/APPENDIX%20G%20final%2012-2009.pdf

If you get hassled again, file a complaint with the BAR. I've done this a couple times for other things. I got one guy in major trouble who took my money and failed me because of my STOCK headers.

There are some awesome smog shops that take the time and find out exactly what is legal and what isn't. Then there are those who won't bother because they have 5 other cars lined up and you're wasting their valuable time. Nothing will happen to them unless you file a complaint with the BAR

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

yea dude go to another smog place obviously the techs at that one have no idea what the hell theyre talking about

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
carb number is carb e.o #d-115-11 took forever 2 find

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com