Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Astro "A-5" Speed Gear Kit

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Astro "A-5" Speed Gear Kit
threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are you experiences?
Im sick of buying t-5s.

http://www.astroperformance.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/29/products_id/207

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got one of those. all the gears are actually a little larger then the G-force stuff, especially the first gear (G-force the uses a weaker Z-spec 1st gear instead of the larger 9310 alloy 1st that Astro uses.

heres a pic of the G-Force kit, notice the space in between the gears (2nd/3rd)
 -
Heres the Astro A5 kit the gears are a little thicker, and the first gear is an actual upgraded gear unlike the Gforce 2.95 Z-spec gear (1st gear is all the way to the right)
 -

[ May 17, 2010, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: 68stanger ]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya i think im gonna go Astro.
Thanks for the pics.

How DD friendly is this kit?

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by threethirty1:
Thanks for the pics.

it shifts exactly the same.
your only changing to stronger gears, the synchros, bearings, etc are all stock pieces.

--------------------

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Nice, how hard is the swap?

You seem to know alot!

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

quote:
Nice, how hard is the swap?

You seem to know alot!

I been building T5's for awhile, so its not that big of a deal anymore (difficulty).

if you can rebuild a T5, you can assemble an Astro A5 kit no problem, there exactly the same, except the gears. lol

--------------------

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive looked at these in the past and it seems to work well according to a buddy of mine.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got a tko 600 and was done!

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^ ya u can do that but i kinda like the stock shifting feel and not the more notchy feel of the TK0s but either way u get used to it
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Jumpinjoe
¯
Member # 7530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jumpinjoe  Ford pictures for Jumpinjoe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:

How do the tko 600's shift as compared to the A-5's?

--------------------
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes the duty. -Thomas Jefferson

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

quote:
Originally posted by Jumpinjoe:
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:

How do the tko 600's shift as compared to the A-5's?
the Tko's use brass synchro rings. because of that thay don't shift as well as a T5 or a t56 at the higher RPM's

Astros/stock T5's use fiber lined rings. those style of rings do alot better job compared to the brass style.

they sell the fiber lined rings seperate for the TKO trans, but its big dollars and for what they are asking it ain't worth it.

--------------------

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
quote:
Thanks for the pics.

it shifts exactly the same.
your only changing to stronger gears, the synchros, bearings, etc are all stock pieces.

Ive done most of the work on my car. But never worked on a t-5 before.
Do you give lessons? lol

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com