Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Hard to push Gas Pedal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Hard to push Gas Pedal
1sic50
¯
Member # 6684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sic50  Ford pictures for 1sic50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well here go fella's;
i have a 90 gt with a five speed i have this problem... it seem's that when i try to accelerate the gas pedal it's hard to push down sometimes it feel's like someone is holding it from going down i know this sound funny but it's true i checked the throttle cable in the engine bay to see if it was crimp or routed bad that's not the case. can it be a throttle sensor or something telling it not to respond for it not to accelerate i don't know what too do i hate to keep revving the engine to make it go espacially with a off-road h-pipe cop's love to hear that right fella's lol... any help would be appreciated thank's [Confused]

--------------------
90 gt W/Vortech S-Trim power adder
99 Explorer W/5.0
87 crx honda WNP!!!!

Ford 4 Life Enough Said Don't Hate

Posts: 534 | From: GOTHAM CITY | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it doesn't stick with the engine off and you have an aftermarket throttle body, you probably just need to drill a tiny hole in the throttle body blade.

my 65mm edelbrock t/b did that when I put it on, it stuck at idle, it was basically a vacuum seal, drilling a tiny hole in the blade face broke that seal and it feels like the stock t/b did.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sometimes the cable is stretched and there is too much slack in the cable. this was the case on my 94. i ended up putting spacers on the cable end that connects to the gas pedal.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same problem in my 96 Explorer. The gas pedal just doesn't seem like it wants to move, i have to really push hard to get it to go. I think it could be the gas pedal/throttle cable itself and the fact i have big feet.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:
I have the same problem in my 96 Explorer. The gas pedal just doesn't seem like it wants to move, i have to really push hard to get it to go. I think it could be the gas pedal/throttle cable itself and the fact i have big feet.

mine did that, I put about 3 or 4 zipties on the throttle cable at the gas pedal itself and the problem went away, kinda like putting washers on a bolt to take up the slack.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

mine did that, I put about 3 or 4 zipties on the throttle cable at the gas pedal itself and the problem went away, kinda like putting washers on a bolt to take up the slack.
yeah i looked at it closer today and the cable is either too long or stretched out, how did you zip tie the gas pedal? i might do that.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

yeah i looked at it closer today and the cable is either too long or stretched out, how did you zip tie the gas pedal? i might do that.
just on the cable where it goes through the gas pedal, so the end of the cable is tight against the pedal

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used the shell of a ball point pen and cut about an inch and slit it down the middle. slipped it on the cable and then used zip ties to hold in place. the length really depends on how stretched ur cable is and how much slack you're trying to make up
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Oh OK. Maybe i'll do one of those. Thanks Blind and Venom.

[ June 04, 2008, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com