Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Belt routing for no a/c, smog, ps?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Belt routing for no a/c, smog, ps?
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone run this setup? Just wondering if you have to flip the tensioner or anything. On an '88 LX BTW.

I got this pic from briefly searching but the arrows are the wrong way:

-

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like:?

-

Just flip the tensioner, since you mentioned it I'm sure you have seen the articles on how to do it [Razz]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried it like that but I could never get the belt to stop slipping.

so I swapped to a `88 crown vic normal rotation waterpump so I could run the full face of the belt on the pulley. I want to get a ribbed pulley eventually but it works just fine for now.

-

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay since I already installed my OEM rev. rotation waterpump I'll try the first setup.

Thanks for the help as well. [patriot]

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here you go!
 -

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/02/shortbelt/index.shtml

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
Anyone run this setup? Just wondering if you have to flip the tensioner or anything. On an '88 LX BTW.

p/m haulinassmaro(he's a memeber here) his claim to fame he invented this set about 9-10 years ago! [Razz]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Camaro Z-28 Kid:
quote:

p/m haulinassmaro(he's a memeber here) his claim to fame he invented this set about 9-10 years ago! [Razz]
Ahhahahha.Actually me and Nate(93LX342) were working on his 85 Capri YEARS ago and he wanted to get rid of everything except for the alt,waterpump.So after trying a bunch of different ways,hacking braclets,mcgyvering shit we came up with the simple setup (what you saw above)and is now on ALOT of cars today.Not exaclty sure we invented it but we hadnt seen it ANYWHERE at the time,so yeah why not we did [Razz] .It took a shit load of trips to the parts store to finally get that right belt [Whoo Whooooo!]
Posts: 22466 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAssMaro:
quote:
Originally posted by The Camaro Z-28 Kid:
quote:

Ahhahahha.Actually me and Nate(93LX342) were working on his 85 Capri YEARS ago and he wanted to get rid of everything except for the alt,waterpump.So after trying a bunch of different ways,hacking braclets,mcgyvering shit we came up with the simple setup (what you saw above)and is now on ALOT of cars today.Not exaclty sure we invented it but we hadnt seen it ANYWHERE at the time,so yeah why not we did [Razz] .It took a shit load of trips to the parts store to finally get that right belt [Whoo Whooooo!]
i copied it from nate...
[Smile]

Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

So an '88 Crown vic std. rotation would work on a setup with just the alternator, water pump, and crank?

It looks like your running a smog pump in that pic blind from looking where that belt is headed...

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
So an '88 Crown vic std. rotation would work on a setup with just the alternator, water pump, and crank?

It looks like your running a smog pump in that pic blind from looking where that belt is headed...

yeah in that pic I was, just uses a shorter belt to run without it.

my belt is 44.5" long, I think the one I use without the pump is 39.5

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Cool got the Crown vic pump in, but I need to enlarge some holes for the OEM mustang pulley to fit onto it.

Hopefully the counter people know to get a belt around that 39.5" length.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com