Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fuel pump too big ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fuel pump too big ?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 93 lx has an intake and headers and not much else worth mentioning. It still has the stock fuel pump. It seems to run great in my opinion. However, the fuel pump is getting pretty loud. Assuming I am correct, it is probably going to quit working when I most need the car. My question is that I have(my brother does) a NIB walbro 255l/hr. that I can have for free. Can I simply install this pump or will it be too large for my set up? I would rather just buy a correct size unit instead of possibly having to pull my intake and buying a fuel pressure regulator. This is because I just put the intake on with fresh gaskets and the like. Thanx

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you upgarde the pump you'll defnatley need to get a AFPR. I believe you can replace them without removing the upper intake manifold.

I think the 255 will be just fine.

--------------------
Support our troops!

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know if you'll need a regulator but if you do put one on, let me tell u, it's a bitch with the fuel rails still on. You gotta get under there with an allen wrench and there's no way in hell you'll be able to take anything off with that intake still on. We'll at least that was my experience. The pump is a good idea though, it'll do you good later on down the road if you decided to go the charged route [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for the FPR all you will need to do is take the throttle body and egr spacer off and you will be able to get to the bolts
Let me just tell you though the bolt that is behind the fuel rails is a pain in the ass and that bolt will take longer to get out and put in then doing everything else. So just pray you get lucky and get the bolt in there on the first try.

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On cars with fuel pressure regulators, you virtually can't get "too big" of a fuel pump... the regulator will send the excess fuel will simply be sent back to the gas tank.
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
On cars with fuel pressure regulators, you virtually can't get "too big" of a fuel pump... the regulator will send the excess fuel will simply be sent back to the gas tank.

[patriot] THANK YOU!!! Im surprised it took this long for someone to say that!! These cars have fuel return lines and regulators!!!!!!!!!!! It will not be too big. [Roll Eyes]

Get the 255 and be done with it!! [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And just take the time to pull the upper and rails. It will save you a lot of swearing and throwing tools. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thank you people,gonna install tonight w/o afpr.
If it runs the same and the fuel pressure is still
the same(have gauge),I will consider the job complete.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a plan. Make sure to post your results here after you're done.
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the FPR. It is not required on most applications. The stock unit does a fine job of maintaining the correct pressure for stock injectors.

Sean

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, the 255 is in. There is no change in fuel pressure and the car runs exacly the same(good). About an hours worth of work and a whole lot less noise from the tank area. So I will not be needing an afpr for now. I am happy,ha,ha,ha.

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

[patriot]

[ July 23, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: 91 5.0 ]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sweet thanks, I was just getting around to asking the same Q... except I already HAD the 255 pump and put in an engine W/O the AFPR (my old one won't work).

Kinda backwards but oh well.

bart92lx
¯
Member # 2799

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bart92lx  Ford pictures for bart92lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
If you upgarde the pump you'll defnatley need to get a AFPR. I believe you can replace them without removing the upper intake manifold.

I think the 255 will be just fine.

This is completey wrong. Don't talk about stuff you don't know about. It can be very misleading and costly to people that don't know better. You can go with the larger fuel pump and use the stock fuel ressure regulator to get the same amount of fuel to the motor as before. The pressure of the fuel lines from the gas tank up to the regulator will go up though, which is no big deal...

--------------------
'93 GT

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He would be better off going with an AFPR so he can adjust the fuel pressure with the bigger pump if he needs to.

Better to do it all once and right the first time.

--------------------
Support our troops!

bart92lx
¯
Member # 2799

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bart92lx  Ford pictures for bart92lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
He would be better off going with an AFPR so he can adjust the fuel pressure with the bigger pump if he needs to.

With that logic, he's be better off with a 347 stroker, 13 inch brakes, a new paint job, etc...

My point is, with the stock motor, the stock fuel pressure (allowed by the stock FPR) is close to optimal. He is not getting any "extra" fuel into the motor because of the bigger fuel pump. The regulator won't allow it to go through. Why spend more money at this point that isn't necessary?

--------------------
'93 GT

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by bart92lx:
quote:

With that logic, he's be better off with a 347 stroker, 13 inch brakes, a new paint job, etc...

My point is, with the stock motor, the stock fuel pressure (allowed by the stock FPR) is close to optimal. He is not getting any "extra" fuel into the motor because of the bigger fuel pump. The regulator won't allow it to go through. Why spend more money at this point that isn't necessary?

If he was to re-do his motor he would be better off going with a 331 over a 347. What I am trying to say is if you are going to replace the parts do it right the first time so you only have to do it once. It saves money in the long run.

If he had a brand new stock fuel pump(88lph or w/e it is) I can see your point. But on a 10 year old car I think YOU CAN EVEN AGREE WITH ME ON THIS that the pump won't be working effectivley and as top notch as it was coming from the factory. So the 10 year old pump probably really isn't even putting out 88lph.
Considering he is getting the 255 for free he might as well spend an extra $100 and be done with it.

P.S. You can stop following me around in my posts now, Thanks [Embarrassed]

Jared

--------------------
Support our troops!

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with bart...

91sleeper, the original poster simply asks if a 255lph, that he can get for free will work on his mustang. He mentions nothing of a rebuild, or a stroker, or anything like that. You responded with...

"If you upgarde the pump you'll defnatley need to get a AFPR."

This is very misleading, and could cause someone who doesn't know about Mustangs to pay more money than is necessary. Before you start feeling like bart is attacking you, realize that all that's being done is you being rightfully corrected so the original poster can have his question answered acurately. Nobody is following you around and attacking you. What it comes down to is this... If you don't know something, keep your mouth shut, or your inaccurate advice could be costly to someone.

Now if he said he was building a stroker, or getting H/C/I, or getting a charger, then sure, I agree with you...

Nothing personal
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
bart92lx
¯
Member # 2799

Following you around? Well, your misleading information in one post got me interested to see if this was a marque signature move for you (like Jordan's free-throw line dunk or Dominique Wilkins Windmill Jam), or if it was a fluke. Looks like a common move for you [Razz]
Nothing personal, don't let it affect your sleep or anything. [Big Grin]

[ July 26, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: bart92lx ]

--------------------
'93 GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com