Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Is college worth it?? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is college worth it??
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm at work and want to have something interesting and funny to read throughout the day.... So the question is, is college worth it? I say yes. Many will disagree and that's fine. My father never went to college, shit he had a damn GED but also went to plumbing school and got a job with the city and bought his own house out here. Very rare for a black man with a GED to purchase a house in a non-ghetto neighborhood...

If you disagree please have some proof like that. I will laugh if you say you have $8k in the bank and a GT40 foxbody lol

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do you find the time to sit in a classroom?
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 75 chevy:
How do you find the time to sit in a classroom?

When I work two jobs my day job is flexible so I'd have Friday off... January I'm leaving here and going back full time.. Still work at night...

--------------------

fam_lace
¯
Member # 8565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fam_lace  Ford pictures for fam_lace    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im in class rite now reading this mess lol I say college matters alot I choose to go back to school @ 26 and wish I did it earlier

--------------------
rip matt i love u cuz
351w h/c/I street car

StangCity510
¯
Member # 11711

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StangCity510  Ford pictures for StangCity510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on what you trying to do. I went to college and found out that it wasn't for me. I say find a trade and go to school for that its faster.

--------------------
will work for stangs

StangCity510
¯
Member # 11711

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StangCity510  Ford pictures for StangCity510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fam_lace:
Im in class rite now reading this mess lol I say college matters alot I choose to go back to school @ 26 and wish I did it earlier

You need to be paying attention in class sir.hahahaha

--------------------
will work for stangs

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by StangCity510:
It depends on what you trying to do. I went to college and found out that it wasn't for me. I say find a trade and go to school for that its faster.

Anything worth anything takes time...

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm more of a hands-on type of guy I can't do book work N stuff like that. It bored the hell out of me that's why I missed so much school in high school I couldn't stand sitting there listening for 2 hours each class.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18530 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this seems to pop up every few months.
the simple answer is YES (assuming you get as much out of the experience as you can get and then apply yourself once youre out). ppl seem to think that once u get a degree somehow that perfect job will fall into the palms of your hand. reality check, a degree will improve your changes of landing the interview over one who is less qualified but ultimately it comes down to you once youre in the war room being interviewed.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
this seems to pop up every few months.
the simple answer is YES (assuming you get as much out of the experience as you can get and then apply yourself once youre out). ppl seem to think that once u get a degree somehow that perfect job will fall into the palms of your hand. reality check, a degree will improve your changes of landing the interview over one who is less qualified but ultimately it comes down to you once youre in the war room being interviewed.

Couldn't have been said any better... I'm usually the one Brigid it up every few months!! Lol...

--------------------

MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say its worth it , I went back to school a year ago in order to change careers, and also to save money and get better at my hobby . When I'm at work and get to feeling sick of it, or the pay , customers attitudes, or whatever , I just think about how I'm in school, and doing something, every week ,to better my life.
1SLW4DR
¯
Member # 11498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLW4DR  Ford pictures for 1SLW4DR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wuttz skul eva did fo meh [Big Grin]
I kid lol

Most people are only going to school to collect financial aid. Well most of the people iknw. I personally coulndt do it I hated high school and couldn't dream of furthering my education. but that's just me.more power to anyone who has the patients to do so

--------------------
03 mercury marauder

TireSmokingHooligan.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NotACop_281:
I kid lol

Most people are only going to school to collect financial aid. Well most of the people iknw. I personally coulndt do it I hated high school and couldn't dream of furthering my education. but that's just me.more power to anyone who has the patients to do so

It's clear in your spelling you didn't do well in school..... Your spelling isn't the only thing you missed out on by not furthering your education......

My answer, yes, it is worth it.

[ December 05, 2012, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say yes. I didnt have the option to take time off between High school and college. I was pushed by my parents to just keep going because it is hard to start after you have had time off. I graduated in 2006 and I am in a career. Now a days though it seems that a college degree isnt enough. Everyone that has them can not seem to find jobs (get off your ass and look harder) that are within their major. I know that after I graduated I just found a company where my degree is useful and started at the bottom. I knew that just getting into the company was the best idea. Now I am 3rd in charge here and will be the owner in the next 10 years. I am 29 and I started as a delivery guy. they knew I had my degree and I made my intentions in the company clear and decisive. That was the position they had available and I jumped on it.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
skoo iz fo dummies bra bra

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sco Cuddie  Ford pictures for Sco Cuddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
I'm at work and want to have something interesting and funny to read throughout the day.... So the question is, is college worth it? I say yes. Many will disagree and that's fine. My father never went to college, shit he had a damn GED but also went to plumbing school and got a job with the city and bought his own house out here. Very rare for a black man with a GED to purchase a house in a non-ghetto neighborhood...

If you disagree please have some proof like that. I will laugh if you say you have $8k in the bank and a GT40 foxbody lol

YES, college is worth it.

I'll use the plumbing trade as an example. I currently work for a plumbing & mechanical contractor. I have an Engineering degree, and have taken classes similar to what an Apprentice needs to take. So, on paper, a plumber and I know the same when it comes to the plumbing field (not taking into account the knowledge gained with experience in the field). The difference between a plumber and a guy with a degree is, I'm able to run a job, from a management stand point, while a plumber would only be used for his plumbing duties.

The Potential growth for a guy with a degree working in the plumbing field is great (moving up in management) , while the growth for a (typical) plumbers ends at being a Journeyman. While we may know the same knowledge, the worth a guy with a degree is much higher then a guy without.

1SLW4DR
¯
Member # 11498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLW4DR  Ford pictures for 1SLW4DR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by NotACop_281:
I kid lol

It's clear in your spelling you didn't do well in school..... Your spelling isn't the only thing you missed out on by not furthering your education......

My answer, yes, it is worth it.

Relax brotha I was joking around.

[ December 05, 2012, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: NotACop_281 ]

--------------------
03 mercury marauder

TireSmokingHooligan.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by Sco Cuddie:
quote:

I'll use the plumbing trade as an example. I currently work for a plumbing & mechanical contractor. I have an Engineering degree, and have taken classes similar to what an Apprentice needs to take. So, on paper, a plumber and I know the same when it comes to the plumbing field (not taking into account the knowledge gained with experience in the field). The difference between a plumber and a guy with a degree is, I'm able to run a job, from a management stand point, while a plumber would only be used for his plumbing duties.

The Potential growth for a guy with a degree working in the plumbing field is great (moving up in management) , while the growth for a (typical) plumbers ends at being a Journeyman. While we may know the same knowledge, the worth a guy with a degree is much higher then a guy without.

Nice answer.. However your slightly wrong.. I know plenty of foremen without college degrees who run the jobs for the water department in the city. They promote from with based on test scores....still someone with a college degree is WORTH more to a private company.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to make 100k+ a year working for a company. Yes you will most likely need a degree.

You also can make 100k+ a year by being your own boss & owning yours small business. But it better be something you love to do & can make money doing. [patriot]

There are a lot of people who didn't go to college and have made a good life for themselves. It comes down to a little luck & motivation to better your life.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

1SLW4DR
¯
Member # 11498

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
If you want to make 100k+ a year working for a company. Yes you will most likely need a degree.

You also can make 100k+ a year by being your own boss & owning yours small business. But it better be something you love to do & can make money doing. [patriot]

There are a lot of people who didn't go to college and have made a good life for themselves. It comes down to a little luck & motivation to better your life.

+1

--------------------
03 mercury marauder

TireSmokingHooligan.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Plain and simple, YES. Stay in school and finish as early as possible.

[ December 05, 2012, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The way I look at it is I'm gonna end up opening a couple businesses in the near future, so what's the difference if I go to school or not go to school? What's a degree gonna do for me if I'm not even gonna use it and open my own business anyway? To me it seems like a waste of time that I could be using saving money for my business. This is a serious question btw. Anyone feel free to answer [Big Grin]

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sco Cuddie  Ford pictures for Sco Cuddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sco Cuddie:
quote:

Nice answer.. However your slightly wrong.. I know plenty of foremen without college degrees who run the jobs for the water department in the city. They promote from with based on test scores....still someone with a college degree is WORTH more to a private company.
I agree with you, which is why I said TYPICAL plumbers (or any worker for that matter) tops out at Journeyman Level. Of course we have our exceptions where a Journeyman excels enough to become a Foreman/GF/Superintednet, but think about it this way, the Super out at my project is in charge of 80 guys. Thats 1 out of 80 who makes it beyond Journeyman level. While with a College degree, I am in a management role, while making GF wages (granted I have been in a Construction Management Role for 6 years but your starting pay out of college is decent and probably equivalent to a 5-6th Period Apprentice).
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on the degree. Engineering, math, science yes. Otherwise nope. I have a friend who just got out if davis with an english degree. Tons of debt and can only find a 50k yr job.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com