Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » gasket matched my heads..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gasket matched my heads..
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well.. I got bored and decided to give porting some aluminum heads a try... I'm using a trusty little electric Dremel, and some 80-120 grit sand paper bits for shaping the ports. I used my 1262 Fel-pro lower intake gasket to give me my boundaries. I will also Shape the ports to the heads on the performer lower intake to the 1262 gasket as well. I will be posting the pics as I make progress..

Here's What the intake port on the head looked like 5 minutes into the process.
 -

And here is gasket matched port.
 -

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Posts: 976 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is my Lower intake to the Head port before the gasket match..
 -

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not bad man. more flow never hurt anyone

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
not bad man. more flow never hurt anyone

Thanks Bro. it isn't CNC quality, or to professional standards. But I'm happy the results so far.. It my not look like it in the pictures, but it is super smooth to the touch for the 120grit surface. I think I'll finish it with a 220, after I get it to perfectly contour with the gasket that is. I'm taking my time on perfecting the transition between the lower and the head. Hopefully I'll turn some good numbers at the track. that will make this time consuming project worth it. I'll post some more pics.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

-

-

-

Here is the Exhaust port untouched-
 -

And this is what I will open it up to, this will match the openings for the BBK Longtubes-
 -

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
everything I've read has said not to open up the exhaust ports, that the port size aids in scavenging and increases exhaust flow, where did you read that you should match the exhaust ports to the header ports?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To tell you the truth, I didn't read s#!$ about anything I'm doing. it's all experimentation. I'm just trying to make as little airflow turbulence as possible.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blkfoxbody89:
To tell you the truth, I didn't read s#!$ about anything I'm doing. it's all experimentation. I'm just trying to make as little airflow turbulence as possible.

Looks good! What are you using to do it?

Not 100% sure, but I think Blind is on to something. I've heard that the real restriction in the exhaust port/header is the pinch on the primary tube by the bolts on either side. Some people have added a bead of weld to the outside/backside of the header (where the tube enters the flange) and then opened up the inside of the header opening to match the exhaust port, but not open up the actual port on the head itself, as the restriction lies in the header.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

quote:
Originally posted by phil a:
quote:
Originally posted by blkfoxbody89:

Looks good! What are you using to do it?

Not 100% sure, but I think Blind is on to something. I've heard that the real restriction in the exhaust port/header is the pinch on the primary tube by the bolts on either side. Some people have added a bead of weld to the outside/backside of the header (where the tube enters the flange) and then opened up the inside of the header opening to match the exhaust port, but not open up the actual port on the head itself, as the restriction lies in the header.

I see, I have actually given that some thought. But, If I did that I wouldn't be able to tighten the header bolts, because as it is.. they are already a hassle to torque properly.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com