Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Mustang 5.0 ignition cylinder lock replacement help!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mustang 5.0 ignition cylinder lock replacement help!
SL302
¯
Member # 9218

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SL302  Ford pictures for SL302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So the problem with my 90 5.0 is I turn the key to start the car, cranks and fires up but when I let go it turns off. How do I replace it? or is it easier just buying a new one?
Posts: 61 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
90_STANG015
¯
Member # 8990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90_STANG015  Ford pictures for 90_STANG015    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SL302:
So the problem with my 90 5.0 is I turn the key to start the car, cranks and fires up but when I let go it turns off. How do I replace it? or is it easier just buying a new one?

how do you know it's the igntion lock cylinder? to change it, remove the plastics around the colum, put the key in the ignition and turn the key into the on position. undernieth there is a small pin hole , stick a small nail,screwdriver, pin ect. an then wigle it out. disconnect the electrical wire and then put it back in the way u took it out. hope this helps [patriot]

--------------------
RAIDER NATION

1990 GT (SOLD)
1988 LX DROP (SOLD)
1989 4 cyl Coupe (sold)
1998 SVT COBRA (SOLD)
1992 LX DROP
1994 GT
1995 Impala SS

SL302
¯
Member # 9218

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SL302  Ford pictures for SL302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90_STANG015:
quote:

how do you know it's the igntion lock cylinder? to change it, remove the plastics around the colum, put the key in the ignition and turn the key into the on position. undernieth there is a small pin hole , stick a small nail,screwdriver, pin ect. an then wigle it out. disconnect the electrical wire and then put it back in the way u took it out. hope this helps [patriot]
Cool thanks I'll try that when I get home.

I'm sure its the lock cylinder that's messed up because after I get it running the ignition is really sensitive, I barely tap the key and it kills the car.

90_STANG015
¯
Member # 8990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90_STANG015  Ford pictures for 90_STANG015    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 90_STANG015:
quote:

Cool thanks I'll try that when I get home.

I'm sure its the lock cylinder that's messed up because after I get it running the ignition is really sensitive, I barely tap the key and it kills the car.

check out the condtion of the ignition switch to.

--------------------
RAIDER NATION

1990 GT (SOLD)
1988 LX DROP (SOLD)
1989 4 cyl Coupe (sold)
1998 SVT COBRA (SOLD)
1992 LX DROP
1994 GT
1995 Impala SS

t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a replacement cylinder and key for $20

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Posts: 2522 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SL302
¯
Member # 9218

It's fixed [Big Grin]
I guess the ignition switch wires on the steering column were loose from wear, used some zip ties and it works now.

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by t-top50:
I have a replacement cylinder and key for $20

charging new price's on used parts

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com