Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » will this cam work

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: will this cam work
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
building this motor for a customer and he's on a super budget build. so i was looking to run the trick flow stage two cam with this below, just wondering if i will have any valve to piston clearance issues. i will be running a std ford head gasket which if i remember right will be roughly .030-.040 thickness before crushing. but its been a while so i may be wrong.

stock new 93 style short block with std bore hyper pistons.
world product windsor jr heads screw in studs 58cc comb. chamb. and 1.94 int/1.60exh.
thinking of running a trick flow stage 2 cam
and the car will be topped off with probably a performer rpm and a holley double pump carb or maybe a barry grant if he can get enough money together.

btw yes this is carb. motor its going in a 64 comet. only reason im sticking with an efi cam is because hes planning on injecting it in a year or so.

and last does anyone know where i can find the flow specs for these heads?

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just have to ask-

You are building a motor for a paying customer and you are not going to check piston to valve clearance??

The Windsor Jr's are bottom of the barrel for flow compared to most other aftermarket heads. They can be ported and be very good if done by someone familiar with them, plenty of material to work with.

World Windsor Jr Iron Port volumres:180cc/84cc valve sizes 1.940"/1.600" chamber size: 58cc

Flow in cfm, 28" H2O-

.100" lift: 120/81 ratio I/E: 67.5%
.200" lift: 165/108 ratio I/E: 65.5%
.300" lift: 195/123 ratio I/E: 63.1%
.400" lift: 214/130 ratio I/E: 60.7%
.500" lift: 226/134 ratio I/E: 59.3%
.600" lift: 234/135 ratio I/E: 57.7%

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:

You are building a motor for a paying customer and you are not going to check piston to valve clearance??

I would hope he is going to check this and is just trying to get a heads up. Especially for a paying customer.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And check piston to deck height. My '92 shortblock was + 5 thou. above deck.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I like hanging the pistons outta the hole a little, get better quench.

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:

I like hanging the pistons outta the hole a little, get better quench.
Yup. One more piece to the puzzle.
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well he is a member of my family and well im doing it more cause hes fighting for our country. im basically making .02 on this whole thing but im just trying to help him out im doing a whole suspension,t-5,rack and pinion,and rearend swap for free. i just wanted to know what iw as up against i didnt want to get the motor together clay it and then go crap i should have asked some other people first. now im gonna have to pull this cam out and have to wait for another one again!!! ya i know those heads kinda suck but we paid nothing for them and this is a BUDGET build. but judging from the flow numbers its looking like i need less lift unless my cousin can come up with the dough to get some kind of port work done and then we will see what the flow numbers will be!!
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

So do a little porting. Basic clean up will probably help. They are sill way better than stock.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

If it is carbed I would ran an XE274HR comp.

Maybe even run some staggered rockers, see what happens.

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

TFS stage 1 w/ 1.7 rockers should clear. But no guarantees.
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

+1

might have to fuck with the cam timing a bit so that it dont hit

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:

was thinking that but that cam was almost $100 more bucks than the tfs 2 and they were close as far as specs go. eah after seeing the flow numbers im guess is that the heads probably stop flowing(they will flat line)at about .540 -.550 so i need to keep that in mind but as soon as i figure out if we can port or not i will make the selection. i have used the xe274 cam before it makes good power and i like the sound!
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:

was thinking that but that cam was almost $100 more bucks than the tfs 2 and they were close as far as specs go. eah after seeing the flow numbers im guess is that the heads probably stop flowing(they will flat line)at about .540 -.550 so i need to keep that in mind but as soon as i figure out if we can port or not i will make the selection. i have used the xe274 cam before it makes good power and i like the sound!
Buy the entire K kit and I think it is everything for $260 bucks.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:

+ 1

--------------------

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just check the P2V clearance, it really dosen't take that long and its VERY cheap insurance.

Also, why the hyper pistons?

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com