Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » GT 500 at the track...oops! PICS (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: GT 500 at the track...oops! PICS
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smooth run.......

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bottled95GT??:
quote:
Originally posted by Beasty5.0:
Good to see you made it out without any major injuries, because by the looks of the car, it seems that it could have been worse.

By the way, can I have dips on the engine and tranny [Big Grin]

HELL NAW...i got cash in hand [Razz]
 -

Greg too bad about your car, but it's good to see you're OK. Turn 9 is a buttclitching turn going into it normally, I can only imagine hitting it in reverse format. I notice your airbags didn't go off, did you have your fuse pulled? I know you rolled, but the car had to have had a large jolt on the first hit.

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

WILDTHANG
¯
Member # 4441

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for WILDTHANG  Ford pictures for WILDTHANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Somebody else in OK had a track mishap.

-

-

[ October 19, 2007, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: WILDTHANG ]

--------------------
07 GT500
66 Drop

TAHOE GT
¯
Member # 6080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAHOE GT  Ford pictures for TAHOE GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[quote0I notice your airbags didn't go off, did you have your fuse pulled? I know you rolled, but the car had to have had a large jolt on the first hit. [/QUOTE]

It was rather amazing how "light" the impact forces were. I think that is mostly because it rolled easily. I did get some neck-strain from that first part of the rollover where my helmet leaves the camera frame, but after that you can see I tried to "turtle" my head down. When the car comes back down on it's wheels, you can see there is a big jolt. That was a bit hard on my back. Other than that, I'm OK physically. I had a CG-Lock on the belt, so my butt stayed planted in the seat.

I'll tell you though, I sure as hell didn't expect to roll over. I expected to slide off-track and maybe have some minor plastic damage.

I did not have my airbag fuse pulled. I'm glad they didn't deploy, though. I guess if I'd come down hard on a door the side bags would have deployed.

Posts: 38 | From: Vallejo/El Cerrito | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Airbags aren't designed to deploy in a rollover. The impact needs to be pretty much head on or a direct side hit for the sensors to activate. In any other type of collision the airbags do more harm than good. Airbags without seat belts can be fatal.

Oh, and airbags are meant to deflate immediately after inflating. They DON'T pop.

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That had to be one of those "Did that really just happen?" moments.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
STANGUP
¯
Member # 7666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANGUP  Ford pictures for STANGUP  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TAHOE GT:
So, the handicap placard isn't mine, but was under the seat. I put it in there for y'all to have something to make fun of. Seriously, though, on stock tires the Shelby was a handful if I got into the throttle, too much. Other than that it was a dream to drive. It really doesn't handle as poorly as it should. (Skeptics can begin flaming, here.) (If you haven't driven one, don't speak.) My experience in turn nine is only related to the fact that I could pick up so much speed, not because there was too much power. I spun because I didn't brake going uphill into nine, as I had been the entire rest of my time on the track. (Brain fart, I guess.) I couldn't shed enough speed to make the corner after the crest of nine, so the tail came around, the left tires debeaded and the wheels bit into the dirt.
Yes, it was the cool-down lap, but (bonehead me) I missed the flag 'cuz I was passing someone on the straight and didn't look at the flagman.
I'm not defending my actions, here. I thought you'd like to know what happened, since some have been writing about the accident. I may even post-up the in-car video I have.

For the flamers and haters, there are only two people that have any clue as to what happened - I'm one. The flagman in turn nine is the other (unless he was asleep.)

Thanks for the condolences, I'm OK, 'cuz the Shelby's built Ford-Tough. (Both doors still open and close, BTW.)

IF you are the a$$h@1e that stole the cobra from my front grill (I doubt it was a Mustang-owner, but I wanted to put it out into cyber-space) while I was in the infield medical center, I hope you window your engine block someday soon.

-

-

-

hey you still get 1000 kool points in my book just for being so calm afterwards, because had i wrecked my pos daily driver id have said 100 curse words while still rolling let alone a GT 500. glad to see you wernt harmed and even came to share the true story without letting the hating or jokes get to you. [worship]

--------------------
STANG UP FAM CAR CLUB

http://www.myspace.com/FIAO84

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya Thunderhill is bad after the rain. I know from our track dates we have seen many rollovers after rain since the run off is just mud then. Its a sure thing to flip. The only thing you could have done to keep that from happening is when you realized you had too much speed up the hill would have been not to turn, and force your way straight into the mud. A simple sink and plow , versues the roll. But they don't teach that until the later classes.

Good thing is that it happened with NASA, and since its a driving school, not a race date, you should be able to get everything covered.

Glad to see you are ok, and that you are suprisingly cool with it. Just get another one, and don't let one bad day ruin the whole OT experience. Get out there and track some more. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
dynoguy
¯
Member # 6457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dynoguy  Ford pictures for dynoguy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"Thanks for the condolences, I'm OK, 'cuz the Shelby's built Ford-Tough. (Both doors still open and close, BTW.)"

I rolled up on the quad and ask the safety guy if the driver is ok. He says, "thats him right there."

As if on cue he reaches in the car and puts the handicap sign on the mirror!!!

That car must be tough.

He was very calm. Sorry about your car Tahoe but man we enjoyed the heck out of your blower whine coming off turn 1 all weekend. You looked pretty good out there.

--------------------
Chris
BRG Racing/Dyno
(925)680-2560
chris@brgracing.com
www.brgracing.com

Pro71bird
¯
Member # 7844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pro71bird  Ford pictures for Pro71bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First of all.....good to see your not hurt. Second....that sucks! Good luck to you.

-

--------------------
George
1973 Camaro
2002 SVT Lightning

Ogi
Member # 7972

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ogi  Ford pictures for Ogi    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello,

My name is Ogi and I was at Thunderhill that weekend. I was driving in group 3 so we never saw each other on the track. I'm really glad I found this posting because the impression we were given of what happened contradicts very heavily with what the video shows.

I don't think it's the fault of the person giving us the run down of what happened, I think someone before him started making some messed up accusations.

Basically it was assumed that since you were passing a car at start finish and missed the checkered flag, that you were "racing" with someone and had a case of "red mist" (track version of road rage). This seemed fishy to me since your car has much more power than everyone else's and leading into turn 9, is a long uphill straight (close enough to a straight) so I couldn't imagine you struggling to get around someone, but who knows. Glad I managed to find this tread through google and get a better idea of what happened.

I hope you don't give up on going to the track altogether, however hopefully next time you will consider taking a piece of machinery that doesn't have 500 hp. I normally track a BMW M3, however last weekend I was tracking a bone stock 328i (hell, it even had an auto gearbox). There is still a lot to be learned.

With you putting up the video and posting here shows a lot about your character. Kudos to you sir, keep out there, and if you notice your mind is starting to wander, take a trip through pit lane to clear it up as best you can.

Stay safe.
Ogi

Posts: 2 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
TAHOE GT
¯
Member # 6080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAHOE GT  Ford pictures for TAHOE GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for posting Ogi. I hadn't heard that I was "racing" someone. Very interesting. The las car that I passed was that white Miata, and there was an instructor in the car. He never said that he saw the incident, only that I was carrying too much speed up the hill to make Turn 9. The vid also shows no one in front of me to be "racing" with. Oh, well. I s'pose that some need to feel important and pretend to "know what happened." It's probably the same person who stole the cobra from my front grill.
Posts: 38 | From: Vallejo/El Cerrito | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tahoe, you seem like a good guy, sorry for your trouble. One thing, we recently installed a Griggs coil over/LCA setup on a GT500. Car handles FAR better than it did before. If you get another 500 I'd highly suggest you toss on this setup. It's completely adjustable as well along the lines of ride height etc.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Ogi
Member # 7972

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ogi  Ford pictures for Ogi    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tahoe,

It's obvious to me that you weren't racing anyone and goofed at the 2nd worst place to goof on the track (next to turn 8).

They may have told us that you were racing someone just to try and scare us group 3 guys into submission (some guys in group 3 do make some dangerous passes and let the ego do the driving for them).

Either way, glad I found this thread and got a much better perspective as to what really happened.

I hope you don't give up on going to the track, and although with the speed you were carrying I'm pretty sure it would have been impossible to make turn 9, hopefully you will realise how much more there is to learn out there.

As stated in the 1st post I made, you may want to consider taking more of a beater car out there. I had a blast in my BMW 328i (with an automatic) even though normally I go out there in a M3. I almost took my mom's honda civic sedan (non modded) just to learn about overcoming understeer and maximizing car control skills while manining a low enough of a speed that I wouldn't get in any trouble.

In the 328i I managed to learn how to recover from a potential spin (I almost lost it in turn 6 a few times), and I was getting a good grasp on how to set up passes properly (it's a little more difficult when you have less than 500 hp [Wink] ).

I want to thank you with sharing the photos and video online once again, and try not to feel bad about what happened. Everyone makes mistakes, and all that was ruined in the end was a piece of machinery.

Ogi

[ October 24, 2007, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Ogi ]

Posts: 2 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Cody Frank
Member # 7993

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Frank  Ford pictures for Cody Frank    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well heck mr. G, that looks like my old 5.0 now! So i'm taking it that's how i shouldn't drive my 96. sideways is permitted but not up side down. Sorry to hear bout your shelby, but i'm not too worried for you cause i know your gonna get something just as nice if not nicer. You always got an Ace up your sleve. Since day 1 i've known that. just a kid with a dream to own a mustang.
Posts: 4 | From: walnut creek, ca | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sux. Always remember... cars can be replaced but people can't [Wink]

So what are you gonna end up putting that engine and tranny in [Big Grin]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
bigscoop50
¯
Member # 7618

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigscoop50  Ford pictures for bigscoop50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got dibs on seats lol wuldnt mind having those in a fox! [Big Grin] good 2 hear ur ok [patriot]

--------------------
my 5.0 is In Progress

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From the video it looks like too late of apex coming over the hill put the car out of position and in order to keep the car on the track they had to turn a bit sharper than normal. This caused the rear to come around and when the rear hit the dirt it was all over.

Is this accurate? If this is the track I think it is, I have seen a few cars do the same thing. Well, without rolling though. That was just total bad luck. A fraction of a second later and the car probably would have went over.

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn that sucks!!! I didn't think it was gonna roll either but it did. must be a crazy turn.. track days look fun!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com